It was my intention here to fill you in on all the details from the boat projects, since I am at work on a ship without too many distractions.  I was able to post about one of my projects (The Table Saga), but once I turned to look at photos of Greg’s, I realized that  1)he has so many I don’t know where to start, and  2)the shop is so dusty that most of the photos I’ve taken of his projects do not do him justice.   Take a look at the work tables in the photos  below and see how many items are lined up;  it’s a struggle to carry an item to completion in one straight shot because epoxy will take time to cure and so he often just starts another one in the meantime.

Junk rig sails have numerous wooden battens lashed to the sails (think of venetian blinds), plus the boom and yard (top and bottom edge of sail).  Many hours were spent on these sticks of wood.  It’s hard to make out, but there are quite a lot of tapered edges, through holes, and indentations (to hold the lashings) that had to be cut out, routered, sanded, and painted. Greg was happy to get this project out of the way.

Since I talk about Willow’s table later, I’ll show you a quick pic of the table going into the new boat, made out of canary wood.  Right now the top is folded down.  Someday we’ll wipe everything down and take proper photos.

Schooner literally showed up one day at the shop last fall. I couldn’t resist posting this, as she’s become a part of our lives now.

Greg recently focused on the outer part of the new boat.  The pilot house is attached, as well as the large rudder, plus he had to figure out how to attach the autopilot lines to the tiller.  Measurements were made so that the wind vane could be special ordered.  The two masts have sturdy collars for passing down through the deck to the keel.  Lots of little wooden blocks were epoxied on the decks so that hardware could have hardier bases; hardware such as stanchion posts (safety rails), cleats, bollards, solar fan vents, eyes to lash down dinghy, extra battens, lifeboat, and solar panels.  He welded his own cleats and bollards because they’re much sturdier than what the stores have to offer.  Hatch covers and deck boxes are almost finished.  I’ve also been working on the decks of Willow, painting, creating new islands of non-skid (using sand, which is then painted over with the same paint) and polishing the stainless steel hardware before re-attaching them.  Since all our stainless steel fittings were new when we started out, I had no idea that they could still rust.  Like our friend Cara Troy said, “They just tend to stain LESS….”  I have the much easier job to do.  Greg has to think out, then construct, every little piece.  Which is why we took a much needed vacation to Hawaii recently.  It was hard to tell if he was more physically or mentally fried.

Introducing a new member of the boat fleet: Jake II.  The new, bigger deck boxes up forward on Willow wouldn’t allow our old dinghy to nestle up there anymore, plus a smaller, lighter dinghy would be easier to launch and handle.  The old dinghy also had sailing gear: rudder, keel, mast, and sail.  We actually sailed it TWICE in all those years;  the second photo shows a fun dinghy race we made with friends in the Cook Islands.  I guess when you sail the main vessel all those miles it takes the desire out of sailing the dinghy around, when it’s convenient to use the oars and small outboard.  It’ll also help clean out the clutter when we move back onboard.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>